.. Psychiatric diseases of housemen ..
I have always wanted to write about housemanship training in Malaysia. You see, housemanship is a tough time for most of the doctors. It is the pinnacle of medical students’ training in Malaysia. You have to go through postings and the inevitable of changing to new environments, new settings, new consultants, specialists alike.
In the end, you will be all- stressed out.
But you see, it is not only stressing these poor housemen. It is more than that.
The way I see it, you will have to see, exactly what is happening to yourselves.
Some of the “Psychiatric Diseases of Housemen” that I would to like highlight:
– inevitably, the whole ” houseman community ” suffering this never ending disease. You will be depressed because of the high expectations from your senior collegues. Apart from that, it will of course, exaggerated by the scrutinies that your specialist just awaiting to do. You will be depressed to see, yourself so messed up- that on some days – you just which that you were not a doctor anymore.
– this vicious cycle of anxiety- depression is continuous. I personally feel anxious when there is this grand ward round. Its like tip toing. Trying to be as tight as possible, not to missed out significant histories , physicals and results investigations. It is like caffeine overload. Most of the time, you’ll get depressed after those tourtoring anxiety ordeals.
– sometimes you ‘ ll get aggresive with patients, when you have actually lost your soul. Abusive.
4. Sleep disorder
– most of the time – caffeine! It is like the juice of life. It makes the work and hell easier. In one study done National academy of science- medical residents works as long as 80 hours over 4 weeks in the US. In Malaysia, the way i see it at least 24 hours plus the regular 8 to 5 job .
5. Low self esteem
– Being the lowest of of the medical fraternity – sometimes you just feel useless. We take a lot of effort in taking care of cases – but most of the lousy job in hospital are done by houseman will do- in the name of training. Apart from that, most of the time the houseman get bullied by those seniors. Have you ever been called a donkey! monkey! or stupid! ?
6. Relationship dynamics
– most of the time, you’ll be in the hospital. You’ ll be losing contact even with your beloved parents. Specialist keep on giving the ideas that patient are more important that your own family members – because they are saving their own butts.
So how to cope with all these problems?
I’ll be posting these later.
-The Hippocratic Oath,
“To consider dear to me, as my parents, him who taught me this art; to look upon his children as my own brothers, to teach them this art.”